Monday, March 16, 2009

"The Cadaver" by Brian K. Raynor


I painted "The Cadaver" years ago as part of a 3 part set. "The Cadaver", "The Attendant" (the funeral home attendant) and "The Mourner" make up this acrylic trilogy. I experienced a lot of loss at an early age. I suppose I have a preoccupation with and a fear of death.

First I painted "The Attendant", which was the 1st painting I ever sold. I don't have pictures of it that I know of and I don't remember the ladies name who bought it. She bought it when I had art hanging at "On Common Grounds". It is my favorite paintings to date. It was part of an exhibit in Charlotte as well. Perhaps someday I will find a snapshot of it.

"The Cadaver" was painted shortly after "The Attendant", as I recall. When I would come home from college and stay at my sister's for the summer I would hang these works in the spare bedroom. My sister told me later that she couldn't wait for summer to end and for the paintings to come down as they were too eerie for her liking.

"The Mourner" was painted after college. I like it least of the 3. It doesn't have the texture nor the style that the 1st two share. Perhaps I'll get a pic of "the Mourner" up soon.

No comments: